Thursday, February 5, 2009

Villanelle of His Lady's Treasures

I took her dainty eyes, as well
As silken tendrils of her hair:
And so I made a Villanelle!

I took her voice, a silver bell,
As clear as song, as soft as prayer;
I took her dainty eyes as well.

It may be, said I, who can tell,
These things shall be my less despair?
And so I made a Villanelle!

I took her whiteness virginal
And from her cheek two roses rare:
I took her dainty eyes as well.

I said: 'It may be possible
Her image from my heart to tear!'
And so I made a Villanelle.

I stole her laugh, most musical;
I wrought it in with artful care;
I took her dainty eyes as well;
And so I made a Villanelle. (76)

(C)1896, Earnest Dowson

0 comments:

Recent Visitors

Wowzio Live Feed

Popular Pages Today

Top Commenters

Widget by Blogger Buster

Followers

The Villanelle Cloud